Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Young Adult at Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study

Last night I was fortunate enough to find myself at the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study for a screening of Diablo Cody's new film, "Young Adult."  Several clips of reality television are used as a motif throughout the movie, including the first lines of dialogue in the film, which are delivered by Kendra Wilkinson.

Cody herself was there for a Q&A afterward, and this is what she had to say about the influence of reality television in the film.

AUDIENCE MEMBER:  "I just loved seeing Kendra and the Kardashians.  How much E! do you watch when you're procrastinating?"

CODY:  "I watch a lot of E! and it's wierd; I've admitted to that and gotten these hushed, horrible reactions and I'm like, 'I'm sorry, I do.'  But it was really, really important to have that footage in this movie because in a way a secondary theme of this film is it's an indictment of the culture of fame and exposure."

SPOILER ALERT--CLICK BELOW TO READ MORE



CODY (CONT'D):  "The fact that at the end Sandra, Matt's sister, says that everybody in Mercury might as well die because they're not as pretty as Mavis and they don't have their name on a book and that's where her priorities are at.  And you can be horrified, but like it's not surprising because that's--that's the effect that culture is having on people right now."

AUDIENCE MEMBER:  "That's just a bonus that Kim Kardashian refused to move to Minnesota?"

CODY:  "It's so wierd to me that Kim Kardashian married a guy who's from like Hopkins, Minnesota which is kind of like the area that we're--is in--whatever, it's very complicated and mystic to me.  I want to feel like we predicted something, but I don't know."

Click here for the entire 25 minute Q&A

No comments:

Post a Comment